More Monarchs

I did another survey of monarch caterpillars for the Monarch Larva Monitoring Project out at Audubon's Beechwood Farms. It's super simple to do, and mainly involves finding yourself a patch of milkweed and counting eggs and caterpillars. I think the caterpillars are very adorable, so I brought along my camera.
Monarch caterpillar.
Large milkweed bug.
Monarch butterfly.
Horned spanworm moth caterpillar.
Lightning bug.
Two-lined spittlebug. The nymphs make those foamy nests that resemble spit that you can find occasionally on plants.
Large milkweed bug nymphs.
Shell of a monarch chrysalis.
Monarch egg.
This is a jumping spider, probably Paraphidippus aurantius.
After I noticed it, it turned around and gave me the eye. It seems to have just caught lunch.
Later I took a peak and found the spider still there and happily munching on another bug.


Comments