Autum Joy

The peak of fall beauty is so brief. There seems to be a period of about a week and a half between a few trees being in their glory, and most trees having lost their leaves. It's worse when rains or strong winds carry the leaves away.
Last year, I never had a day when it seemed convenient to wander in the woods during their peak color, when it was also a sunny day. I promised myself I'd see it if at all possible this year! So I found myself at Raccoon Creek State Park on a lovely sunny day, when the color was still here but fading fast.  After 12 consecutive weeks of a nature journaling assignment there, I've become particularly fond of the place. The air was crisp and the leaves smelled lovely. I didn't recognize the many intricate seed pods whose beauty I admired, but realized if I could have come there every week this summer, I would have remembered the blooms that preceded them. 

Apheloria virginiensis, cyanide millipede.
Multigoblet slime mold? Whatever it is, it's weird.
Tall bellflower.
Tall bellflower. 
Wolf's milk slime mold? 

Comments